Sunday, May 13, 2007

Happy Mother’s Day

Dear Mom,
It’s been almost eight years since you were called to Heaven. What I would give to just sit with you and chat like old times. My rose garden is in full bloom and I clipped a peach one today in your honor- your favorite.

Not a single day goes by that I don’t continue to look to you for guidance and support. You were and still are the person I continue to learn from. Your support and open arms always made me feel like a baby bird beneath your protective wing. Your beautiful son-in-law and grandchildren have never met you and I am always striving to make sure they know you well. It is tough, however, as there aren’t yet any words in existence that are as encompassing enough, colorful enough or true enough to describe your heart and soul. It saddens me that they will never experience first hand your quiet humility, unmistakable dignity and selflessness, nor to be on the receiving end of your always generous heart. I can only hope and pray that just an inkling of your influence has rubbed off on me.

Mom, I know that in your last days on Earth you were most worried about me and my well-being. I was still your “baby” and you weren’t ready to leave me to be on my own. The best things you never said to me were: no, you can’t, and you won’t. I hope you can see that I’m more than okay today. Your guidance has gotten me through some of the toughest times in my life. Now this bird will continue to fly high until we see each other again.

Happy Mother’s Day!

1 comment:

Auntie Christine said...

Your mother's day toast warmed my heart. I do hope one day to share my memories of your mom with your beauiful M&M. I know she would be as proud of you as I am.