Friday, April 11, 2008

Anyone down for Spring Break in CanCun?

Last year I ranted and raved about the horror film, “The Descent.” Read about it here. Interestingly, the same individual who recommended that I see that movie, also handed me a book called, “The Ruins” by Scott B. Smith. She said it was tremendously frightening and, in fact, gave me her copy to keep.

I never did get around to reading the book because so many other books kept taking precedence and it got lost in my ever-growing pile of “books for later.” Now, some two years later, it turns out they made a movie out of the story.

Amazingly, it was brought to my attention by one of the attendees at my showing of "The Descent" last year. She mentioned that we ought to go and see the movie since it was supposedly along the same lines of horror. Naturally, I jumped at the opportunity and we managed to see it earlier this week.


The verdict?


Well, if you're into grim, relentless drama that acknowledges the grief that comes with unspeakable tragedy (like me) then you are in a bit of luck. However, I will say that this film was, at best, okay. It certainly was no Descent. I held, perhaps, unreasonably high hopes for this movie. Surely, nothing could match the sheer 'terror factor' of “The Descent.” Still, it beat a ho-hum Wednesday night at home.


Moral of the story: Never visit an out-of-the-way Mexican ruin covered by vines and blood-red flowers that make a squeaking sound... (huh?!?)


Tina’s rating: C+


See a preview of "The Ruins"

No comments: