Thursday, April 10, 2008

Great Strides 2008

Six years ago I had the pleasure of meeting my dear friend's niece, Theresa, who was 4 or 5 years old at the time. I remember instantly remarking to my friend about her beauty and adorable temperament, albeit on the timid side. She was precious, just like a porcelain doll.

I raved on and on about this angelic girl and wanted to know all about her and her parents. It was during this conversation that I learned Theresa was born with 'CF' or Cystic Fibrosis. Cystic Fibrosis is a genetic disorder that affects the lungs and digestive system for which there is currently no cure. It is one of the most common life-shortening, childhood onset inherited diseases.

Theresa has a younger sister, Caroline, who also has CF. While I hear little bits and pieces about the girls' lengthy hospital stays, infection scares and rigid therapy, I truly have no idea what it is like to have CF nor to care for a child with CF. I do know that it breaks my heart to see my own children come down with a simple cold. So I cannot even begin to imagine how Theresa and Caroline and their parents cope each day. To me, they are all crusaders, heroes, and a source of great inspiration.

Over the years, I've been an annual donor and supporter of my friend's efforts to raise fundraising dollars and I am inviting you, too, to learn more about CF, help spread awareness and donate. I love receiving updates on Theresa and Caroline and like my friend, am thankful the girls have survived another year.

Every little bit counts and gets researchers close to finding a cure for CF. There is no better time than now to donate! Go to: http://www.cff.org/



No comments: