Thursday, May 15, 2008

While I’m on the subject of Dobes…

Last Saturday I woke up at 7:09am. Typically, on Saturdays should this ever happen, I'll roll over and sleep some more. Who knows what came over me then, but for whatever reason I shot out of bed and decided I was going to go for a run. In 6 minutes I was dressed and sitting at the base of the stairs about to put my running shoes on.


The very act of me sitting to put on my running shoes, (and these specifically… not my flip flops or any other shoes) must sound like a 3-siren alarm to Cash, because he comes bolting out of nowhere to slither in next to me in hopes that I will take him along.


Being the ever-so-polite canine that he is, he doesn’t whine, whimper or bark at me. He doesn’t jump on me or paw at me. Instead, he casually tries to get me to notice him perhaps thinking that the image of him standing there and my intent to go running will somehow blend together effortlessly in my brain.


How does he do this? He burrows his snout deep deep deep into my hair and sniffs around my scalp. If I don’t “notice” then he proceeds to lay his body across my shoes. And as a last resort, he gets right under my chin, puts his face up to mine and stares into my eyes until I finally have to say, “Oh hi, Cash! I didn’t see you there! What brings you here?”


While I don’t always take him with me, Cash-man was in luck last Saturday.


Off we went and I thought, what a beautiful day. I’m going to make this a great workout and Cash is going to help me by making me run faster. Now, Dobermans can run at speeds as high as 45 mph, and Cash has never moved beyond a brisk walk with me. My goal that day was to pick up my pace enough to see Cash get a teensy weensy bit of air underneath his paws- even if for a few seconds!


Fat chance.



As I huffed and puffed around the trail, I desperately tried to sustain a pace where he would have to, God forbid, jog! But he never did. He just walked and walked. If I ran faster, he’d just pick up the clip in his walk. No air. *sigh*


Nonetheless, he certainly gave me a great workout since I did

run faster. As we headed home, I saw his happy tongue hang out. He reached the front door well before me but then came back out to me and walked by my side. Perhaps he felt bad for me. So slow… Or maybe he was just being the dang good loyal dog that he is saying, “Come on, Mom.. you’re almost there. You can do it. Good job!”


I love my dog.

No comments: