Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Jolly Holiday Shopping

Videonow, DS, Wii, Leapster… The name of the wish list game this year at our house is electronics. Handhelds and game stations.. Heck- even I kind of want a Wii. Coming in at a close second are those masterfully-marketed Webkinz animals. Who would have thought my 2 1/2 year old would be eating all her vegetables at dinner just so she could get time on the computer to “shop” for more furniture for her pink pony’s virtual room? And my son… banking all kinds of credits for winning countless games of “Rock, Paper, Scissors” against the computer? Amazing. All Webkinz are are glorified Beanie Babies and they are taking over my household!

And then there’s Hanna Montana. Whoooooo-weeee does she command obsessive market share in this household. Now, I will give the pop star credit… She’s no cheesy Hillary Duff. Her tunes are catchy and she’s adorable, to boot. She’s got staying power. My point? If you know of any kids ages 6-14, chances are they are in love with Miley Cyrus. Two-thirds of America’s tweens are fans of Hanna Montana so you can’t go wrong giving gifts centered around her to this age group.

I know, I know. It’s only November 7th. How can I even be thinking of holiday gifts already??? Thankfully, my extended family is extremely proactive in this department and requires an explicit wish list from all individuals by November 1st. While some might feel this takes away any elements of fun and surprise, I am a BIG believer in this time-saving tool. Plus, I’d much rather see my nieces and brothers and sisters-in-law receive something they will squeal over in excitement versus sending them a “surprise” gift they have zero use for. Where’s the fun in that?

And this goes for us on the receiving end, too. I can’t even begin to state how many gift cards from Ann Taylor I’ve received in my lifetime. Now, don’t get me wrong. I love Ann Taylor clothing… on OTHERS. But for me? It’s just silly wrong. And with hundreds and hundreds of dollars in credit there, it may as well be money burned.

So, here’s my take: Do not leave your gift to fate. Send out a list of appropriate choices to your family. And underline appropriate! Eg. Shaq-sized mukluks are NOT stocking stuffers.

Good luck and enjoy tackling your shopping lists!

No comments: