Monday, June 18, 2007

Book Clubs... Fact or Fiction?

I’ve never been part of a book club. What do you do at a book club? Is it an excuse to gather socially or do you really just get together to discuss books? The reason I wonder is because I recently met a gal who was telling me all about all the fun things she did with her “book club”, none of which were centered about any books!

Are book clubs formed around a certain genre of literature or is the material free-for-all? Who decides on the book of the week?

As an avid reader, I’ve considered joining one or even starting one, but I’m picky about what I like to read. Since I don’t have a lot of extra time, I am always squeezing in whatever moments I can to tackle my way-too-long list of books that I want to finish. And then there’s the ones that I wish to re-read..

Somehow I do manage to read the equivalent of at least one book a week just by sneaking in a chapter here and there. You'd be amazed at how much reading you can accomplish by simply strategically placing books throughout your house. For me, at any given time, I have 8 to 10 books each in a designated spot. I have a book in my purse, in my car, one next to my bed, one by the couch and of course, one in each bathroom. If I’m cooking, I’ll read a chapter in the kitchen. If I’m taking an “eye-strain” break from my computer, I’ll read a chapter at my desk.


A lot of people find the books I love extremely boring and dry. In fact, this weekend, when we returned home from a party, I found the nanny perusing my kitchen book, “How to Out-Negotiate Anyone”. She looked way less than entertained. Are you kidding? I eat that stuff up! I crave mostly non-fiction. I love books about psychology, entrepreneurship, and business. Then there are the memoirs and books about serial killers. If I ever do read fiction, they are almost always thrillers. I mean, I do enjoy the Harry Potters and the Devil Wears Pradas of the world, but there are way too many books ahead of them on the list that I rarely get to these.

*Sigh* I guess if I do start a book club, it will have to be the kind with more of the social slant. That’s cool. There’s nothing like another excuse to get together and drink!

Happy reading!

1 comment:

Aimee said...

Yeah, our book club meets monthly, at a restaurant. We mostly just catch up on life for an hour and talk about the book for about 20 minutes. And eat. and drink.
Everyone is assigned a month and they get to pick the book and the restaurant. It's worked out pretty good.

For getting in some reading time - check out dailylit.com. It's a website where you can have "sections" of some of the classics (including war and peace and anna karenina) sent to you via email FOR FREE. Pretty cool. (and the sections are super short).

Cute blog! I have no clue how I found it - I typed in something totally different and your blog came up. hehe. :)